Friday, March 14, 2014

Furniture Makeover Part II

Hello there... Happy Friday. In my last post I mentioned my love for thrifting so today will be a continuation of this love. I mean really, who doesn't love finding great old pieces in great condition for great prices?  Furniture just isn't as great as it use to be. How many of your grandparents still have the same furniture from the 60s and I bet that furniture is still in prestige condition! Well when I was younger, my grandparents had this great rocking chair. I just loved that chair. My grandma would rock us to sleep or tell us stories from her childhood. I knew that when I had a place of my own, I would be getting a rocking chair. Not just any rocking chair, a vintage one. One I would have for years that I would sit with my kids and tell them stories about my childhood. Since we bought the house, I have been in search for my perfect rocking chair. Searching antique stores and thrift stores. One day, while searching craigslist, I came across an estate sale in our neighborhood and low and behold the most beautiful rocking chair was listed.



How adorable is that chair. After doing some research, I learned that this particular rocking chair is called a Sweet Heart Rocking Chair. Online they are listed for 500 buckaroos and we snagged ours for $60. What a steal. After some cleaning and polishing I decided I wanted to stain the rocking chair. We first sanded the whole chair to get the old gloss off of it to make sure the stain would soak into the wood. After the sanding I began to stain.  We went with a Red Mahogany Minwax stain. 


Here is the contrast of the stain versus the original color

After painting the whole chair I let the paint dry for two days. 
Here is our finished product. 

The stain brought the wood back to life. It was dull before,  now it has a great shine to it and complements the rest of our living room furniture. I hope you all enjoyed this DIY project.


Any of you have pieces of furniture you have stained? Any great finds to share? 


No comments: