Thursday, February 20, 2014

Front Door & White-Washed Bricks

Hey Small House Lovers welcome back. I hope you have a cup of joe and a comfy seat, because today I will be sharing our first DIY projects. This is how we White-washed our front porch and painted our front door. This whole project cost us a total of 25 buckaroos.

                                        Before picture of the bricks and front door.
                                             That's Milo and Sassy.

Well as you can see the bricks needed some serious DIY loving. The door was just a maple wood color before we painted it. First we power washed the bricks to make sure to get all the build up off. We already owned the power washer, but you can always rent one at Home Depot. Then we got to painting. The white-washing solution was 1/2 white exterior paint and 1/2 water. You want to get a milk consistency. I first applied the paint with my paint brush and then went over with an old rag to wipe off any excess paint. This project took me almost an hour.

                                            After.  White-washing is so beautiful.


Now lets talk about painting that boring door. At first I wasn't sure what color I wanted the front door.
Bright Red? Turquoise? Yellow? So many colors not enough door! Anyone who knows us, knows we love colors. Well at the end I played it safe with a Latex Black Paint! At first I felt like a sell out for picking the little black door, but once it was done I was in love. When painting the front door I had to make sure it was perfect weather, not to humid & not to hot. I didn't remove our door even though the instructions advised for it. I just left the door open just a bit so it would't get stuck! I applied 2 coats to get the perfect cover.
The bottom white strip was tape. Once it dried it peeled right off. Isn't the black just gorgeous and so shiny. The best part about picking the little black door is that I can add endless amount of colorful decor options: Pillows, Cushions,  Flower Pots the list is endless.


List of items you will need:

  1. Old Rag 
  2. 2 Paint Brushes (2 dollars each)
  3. White exterior paint ($10)
  4. Black Latex Paint ($10)

No comments: